- Departure Date:
- Jun. 12 2011
- Return Date:
- Jul. 22 2011
- Local Institution:
- Franklin & Marshall
- Local Advisor:
- Andrea Lommen
- Foreign Institution:
- Jodrell Bank Center for Astrophysics
- Foreign Advisor:
- Ben Stappers
- Student Status:
- Q. What country were you staying in?
- Q. What university were you attending/doing research at?
University of Manchester
- Q. How long were you there?
- Q. What sort of research were you doing?
Pulsar timing noise analysis
- Q. Did being abroad influence the kind of research you’re doing?
started the project I worked on my entire undergraduate career.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing about being abroad?
Being in another country and interacting with people from all around
the world there.
- Q. What’s your favorite new phrase from the language?
round trip ticket in the United Kingdom is a return ticket - this
threw me off the first time and I ended up purchasing two one way
- Q. What’s the hardest thing about being abroad?
Being away from home - I had traveled alone before but never
- Q. What did you do in your free time?
Traveled around the United Kingdom.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
took a day trip to London and was able to see the inside of
Westminster Abbey. Another amazing day trip was up to Liverpool and
the Cavern Club.
- Q. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
The weirdest thing I did might have more been a strange
realization - when people realized that my friend and I had traveled
from Manchester to London for the day (a 2 hour train ride) they
were shocked that we had done this. In UK a 2 hour trip is usually
at least a weekend trip away. Their sense of distance really threw
me off, because for me a 2 hour trip (one way) in a day is nothing.
- Q. What advice would you offer others going abroad?
Try to get out as much as possible - looking back on the experience
I always wished I had done more.
- Q. What skills have you learned abroad?
have learned to be independent and adapt to other cultural
expectations - can be hard but usually is a lot of fun.
- Q. Is there anything you’d do differently or anything you wish you’d
would get out and travel even more - I let my insecurities stop me
sometimes and looking back that’s when I should have said yes.