- Departure Date:
- May 26 2015
- Return Date:
- Aug. 01 2015
- Local Institution:
- West Virginia University
- Local Advisor:
- Maura McLaughlin
- Foreign Institution:
- Foreign Advisor:
- Ryan Shannon & George Hobbs
- Student Status:
- Q. What country were you staying in?
- Q. What university were you attending/doing research at?
was doing research at CSIRO facility in Marsfield, just outside
- Q. How long were you there?
- Q. What sort of research were you doing?
compared DM variations using a variety of fitting methods for
several pulsars in the first IPTA data release.
- Q. Did being abroad influence the kind of research you’re doing?
did, I got a lot of good ideas from my collaborators at CSIRO and
had lots of very productive and useful discussions.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing about being abroad?
think the coolest thing was the wild cockatoos flying
- Q. What’s your favorite new phrase from the language?
Australians call McDonald’s “Maccas”.
- Q. What’s the hardest thing about being abroad?
The hardest thing was having a 14 hour time change between my family
and me, so coordinating times to talk was difficult. Overnight
observation sessions became a handy time to skype.
- Q. What did you do in your free time?
went into Sydney most weekends and hung out near the harbor. There
were great restaurants, an open market, museums, and a heck of
- Q. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
pet a bunch of baby kangaroos.
- Q. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
was chased by a magpie; they are tiny but fearsome.
- Q. What advice would you offer others going abroad?
would say don’t be afraid to be adventurous— I was wary of going
anywhere on my own, but people were friendly and there were a lot of
very cool things in the area to do.
- Q. What skills have you learned abroad?
can eat Vegemite properly.
- Q. Is there anything you’d do differently or anything you wish you’d
wish I would have travelled around a little more, it’s important to
get a lot of work done but part of studying abroad is experiencing
another country and seeing the sights.